If you love travelling, Malaysia offers a host of opportunities to roam around. With beautiful beaches, hills, and bustling cities, there’s a lot to see. The country promises an even better experience if you are willing to drive around. Peninsular Malaysia has a number of well-connected attractions, which can be visited by road. For most of these places, you can just hire a car from Kuala Lumpur and drive to the spots. Heavily forested areas and quaint areas such as Sarawak and Sabah on Borneo also have a very good road network.
There are a number of options if you are looking for a good car rental service in Malaysia. Most car rental companies offer both small and large cars for different-sized groups.
Car Rental Service Providers
There are both international and local car rental companies located in Malaysia. Most bookings can be done online. Let’s look at the different car rental options available in the country.
|Service Providers||Contact details||Rates||Benefits|
|Europcar||Phone: +60192799818 (also available on Whatsapp)||One way rental starting from RM50.||
|Hawk Rent a Car||
Phone: 1300886488(Within Malaysia), +603-8084 2299
|Minimum charge of RM180 for inter-city rentals.||
|Pacific Rent a Car (PRAC)||
Address: Suite 29-8, 8th Floor, The Boulevard Offices, Mid Valley City, Lingkaran Syed Putra, 59200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Phone: +603-2287 4118 /+6016-334 7722
Fax: +603-2287 0139
|Economy car rentals starting from RM135 per day.||
|Hertz Car Rentals||
Phone: 60-3-87874572 (KLIA)/ 60-3-21810658 (Downtown Kuala Lumpur)
|Avis Car Rentals||
Phone: (603) 21622144 (Renaissance KL Hotel, Lot L7),
(60) 03 7803 7555 (Holiday Inn KL Glenmarie),
(60) 03 87874087 (KLIA 2 Sepang),
(60) 03-87874087 (KLIA Sepang)
|RM207.55 and above for economy cars.||
Benefits of getting a car rental
- You can get a car rental with a driver and guide as well. If you are underage or are not familiar with the area, you can go for this option.
- Attractive discounts are applicable when you book in bulk. Therefore, it makes sense to have a long-term rental plan (whether for work or leisure) for your car.
- Get car’s tank refilled when you get the car rental service from the provider.
- Malaysians follow the British system of driving, and the steering wheel is on the right. Since most countries follow this system, hence easy to adapt for foreign drivers.
- Some car rental accept prepaid credit cards for rentals. If you are a student, you can use prepaid credit cards for payment.
- International car companies are also an extremely popular option for car rentals. Some of the rental services offering popular international car brands in Malaysia include, Sunny Cars, Alamo, Europcar, Hertz, and Avis.
- Rental services come with insurance add-ons, such as theft protection, accidental damage, personal accidents, among others.
How does car rental work?
Most car rental services in Malaysia are available online. Depending on the service provider, you can book your car online by providing the details of pick-up, drop-off, time duration, and the type of car. You can also make a reservation over phone or through email, depending on the service you choose.
In order to rent a car, you need to fulfil the following criteria:
- You need to be between 23 and 70 years old.
- You should have a valid driver’s licence (international, or national if issued in the Roman alphabet)
Things to keep in mind when you rent a car
- You might want to rent the car for a longer time to get a discount. If you plan to travel for a week, book the car for a minimum of 7 days, and enjoy rebates on the total cost.
- Try to book with time in hand. You can expect the prices to go up as you move closer to the rental date. You might not be able to get the cheaper cars if you book close to the departure date. Try to keep a good two or three weeks in hand while booking.
- There may be taxes applicable on the rental value. If you are using a website, these taxes will be added once you go ahead with the booking. Charges, such as Sales and Service Tax (SST) and others, may be applicable.
- You may have to fill up the car tank when you return the car.
- Most car rental companies would need you to make the payment with a credit card.
- Drivers under probation will not be eligible for car rentals.
- The speed limit on the highways is 110 km/hr (70 mph) on the highways, and between 50 and 70 km/hr (30 to 45 mph) within the town.
- Carjacking is a common threat in Kuala Lumpur. Be aware of the neighbourhood where you are parking. Keep the doors locked and windows rolled up when driving slowly or parking the car. When parked, use a steering wheel lock for additional protection.
- A repositioning fee may be charged when the car drop-off location is different from the pick-up location.
Car rental services are extremely popular in Kuala Lumpur. It offers good, convenient options for both work and leisure. However, if you are looking to buy a new car, you may consider taking a car loan. At the end of the day, whether it is a rental, car lease, or buying the car, you need to figure out the pros and cons before you deciding.