This company is said to be the world’s largest insurance organization, with over 88 million customers, worldwide. They are said to be leaders in property casualty insurance, life insurance and retirement services, mortgage insurance, and aircraft leasing. AIG has existed in Malaysia since 1953 based out of Kuala umpur. However the financial institution became a locally incorporated insurance company in Malaysia only on 1 June 2008. AIG Malaysia has 14 offices and over 3000 professional agents, brokers and staff.
The travel insurance from AIG Malaysia is highly useful when you are traveling abroad and are in need for finance under certain circumstances. There is also a domestic AIG travel insurance scheme available for people traveling within the country.
AIG Travel Insurance Coverage, Features and Benefits
The basic benefits and coverage of an AIG Travel Insurance include:
- Medical & Personal Accident Cover: This covers the insured individual or family for medical and personal accidents for up to RM10 million for medical expenses and RM300,00 for personal accident cover.
- Medical Evacuation & Repatriation Service: For an emergency case, medical evacuation and repatriation costs are taken care of in this policy.
- Flexible Travel Frequency: There are special options for single trips and multiple trips in a year as well.
- Natural Disaster: This coverage includes compensation and financial aid necessary for earthquakes, floods, volcano eruptions & others.
- Home Coverage: When traveling if the insured’s home is robbed, a compensation is financed for loss of personal valuables.
- Travel Inconvenience: This coverage includes loss of travel documents, loss of money, flight delay and Baggage damage or loss.
- 24 Hours,7 Days Worldwide Travel Assistance Helpline: Simply call them at +603-2772 5600 for assistance. The helpline also assists people in various languages spoken around the globe.
AIG Travel Insurance Schemes
AIG has a travel insurance and domestic travel insurance scheme for traveling within the borders of the country. However, the main travel insurance is available in 3 different schemes which includes basic, deluxe and standard. There is also a special scheme available for students studying overseas which entitles them to insurance coverage up to their graduation.
How To Make A Claim Under AIG Travel Insurance
To make a claim for AIG travel insurance the following procedure needs to be followed:
- Notify AIG Malaysia instantly after the event or incident: To do so, call at the toll free no. 1800 88 8811 or complete Travel Claims Notification Form available on the website and email it to [email protected]
- Make sure the relevant documents are ready for the claim: Here are the documents that will be necessary:
- Boarding pass and e-ticket for all claims
- Original medical receipts and doctor's diagnosis if medical related
- Letter from airline confirming the duration of flight change and reason of change
- Property irregularity report if your baggage is delayed/damaged
- Original receipts additional accommodation, transportation, communication expenses, replacement cost for lost of travel documents
- Police report (lodged within 24 hours) on loss related incident.
- Additional documents may be requested by AIG based on the type of claim made.
AIG Travel Insurance FAQs
What is the eligibility criteria to purchase this insurance for my travel?
A. Anyone who is traveling within the country or overseas is eligible to purchase the insurance. However, AIG coverage is not given when traveling to or through the following countries: Afghanistan, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Iraq, Liberia, Sudan or Syria.
How are the premiums for this travel insurance calculated?
A. The premium payable is based on the individual or family’s choice of plan, destination and duration of cover chosen. The premium amount includes Goods and Services Tax (GST) payable at 6% and applicable for Domestic trips.
Can I use my travel insurance for a one-way trip?
A. Yes you can, however the coverage benefits expire after 5 days from reaching your financial destination.
What helpline do I need for a medical emergency assistance and for my medical assistance, overseas?
A. You can call the 24x7 helpline: +603-2772 5600. Reverse charging the call where this service is availble is possible. If you are unable to do that during an emergency , get treatment first, and contact our worldwide travel assistance at +603-2772 5600 when possible.
How long does it take to process a claim?
A. It generally takes around 30 working days upon receiving complete documentation to process the claims unless further information or investigation is required.
Are dental and pregnancy related issues covered in the AIG travel insurance?
A. Dental expenses and pregnancy-related matters are not covered, with the exception as direct consequence of an accident.