Malaysia is predominantly a tourist destination and hence travel insurance is a popular form of insurance in the country. Several insurance players offer travel insurance policies to customers in Malaysia.
Although travel insurance is offered by companies for a short period of time of travel but there are policies that are also offered for extended periods and for frequent travelers. Top travel insurance providers in Malaysia include RHB Insurance, Tune AirAsia, Etiqua, Maybank etc..
What is covered under travel insurance?
Travel insurance covers a number of points and not just insurance while you are in an airplane or train or any other means of transport. Some of the most prominent points covered under travel insurance are-
- Trip cancellation cost
- Medical expense during travel
- Some major medical issue arising while away
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Accidental death or flight accident
Best Travel Insurance Plans Malaysia
Insurance and its many variants have come across as a hugely popular financial instrument around the world. The ease of obtaining insurance and the financial assurance that comes with it is something that is appreciated by most customers. We all look for ways to protect ans secure the future of us as well as our loved ones. Travel insurance is a form of insurance availed by customers to safeguard themselves and their belongings while they are traveling. There are several mishaps that might befall an individual while he/she is traveling. In order to keep one protected against several of these unfortunate events, travel insurance is a great financial tool.
Some of the most important things that are covered under any travel insurance policy are listed below.
- Insurance against personal accident
- Medical-related expenses
- Loss of travel or accommodation charges due to cancellation of postponement of journey
- Passport loss
- Loss of baggage and other belongings
- Travel delays
- Airplane hijack
Compare Travel Insurance Plans
|Provider||Trip Cancellation||Travel Documents||Lost Luggage||Medical Evacuation||Death & TPD|
AXA Travel Insurance
AIG Travel Insurance
Allianz Travel Insurance
Etiqa Travel Insurance
Kurnia Travel Insurance
Tune Travel Insurance
Tokio Marine Travel Insurance
Maybank Travel Insurance
RHB Travel Insurance
Berjaya Sompo Travel Insurance
Lonpac Travel Insurance
Types of travel insurance in Malaysia
There are three types of travel insurance which can be availed in Malaysia.
- Per-trip insurance cover is the most frequently bought travel insurance type among customers. This type of travel insurance policies are aimed at fulfilling the travel insurance needs of individuals who do not travel frequently and need insurance only for a single trip.
- Multi-trip insurance cover is for customers who are frequent travelers and who make multiple trips in a year.
- There is also available an annual travel insurance policy that offers insurance coverage to customers for one full year.
Points to keep in mind while purchasing travel insurance
Purchasing a travel insurance is a tricky job because to anticipate your insurance requirement is difficult. However, some of the most generic points that need to be taken care of while availing travel insurance are the following.
- Research the market for available insurance products before zeroing down on the insurance policy of your choice
- Check for all points that are being covered by your travel insurance provider since various companies offer various benefits and features
- It is good to choose an insurance provider that offers insurance coverage for travel as well as medical emergencies
- Before availing travel insurance get familiar with the cancellation policies of your hotel and airlines
- Find out credit card coverage for issues like loss of card, lost luggage or car rental services. Some credit cards provide these and hence it is not necessary to avail these as part of travel insurance
- Read the fine-print of your travel insurance contract. This will contain important details which may severely impact your coverage and benefits
- Check whether you really need travel insurance and what various points you surely want to be included as part of your insurance cover. This includes checking for medical emergency coverage, cost of the trip in case emergency arises and participation in an extreme sport or adventure sport which may require a back-up protection plan
- Research and check the insurance cost of schemes offered by various companies so that you do not fall prey to over-priced travel insurance schemes
- Check whether you want single-trip insurance coverage or a multi-trip travel insurance scheme in case you are a frequent traveler
Top Travel Insurance providers in Malaysia
Some of the most prominent travel insurance companies in Malaysia are listed below.
Common exclusions for travel insurance claim
There are certain conditions that do not qualify for travel insurance claim settlement.
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Elective Surgery or elective treatment
- Some travel insurance plans cover risks related to war and terrorism but most do not provide coverage regarding this
- Any injury or illness caused due to drug or alcohol abuse
Travel Insurance FAQs
What is meant by travel medical insurance?
Travel medical insurance is defined as the protection offered to insured person with regards to medical expenses incurred while traveling.
Should I really buy travel insurance while traveling?
Travel insurance though may seem unnecessary but is actually a much-needed expense in order to safeguard yourself and your family from any unforeseen calamity while you are traveling.
What is deposit date with reference to travel insurance?
Deposit date is the date on which you make your first payment towards your trip.
What is the minimum time before which I can avail travel insurance?
Travel insurance can be availed up to 24 hours prior to the journey.
Can I avail travel insurance online?
Yes. Online travel insurance schemes are offered by several insurance providers in Malaysia.
Can I get travel insurance if I am going on a cruise?
Yes. Travel insurance can be availed if your are going on a cruise. You should contact the travel insurance provider to check for detailed information regarding this.
Is it mandatory to know the name of my airline while purchasing travel insurance?
No. It is not mandatory to fill-in the airline name and can be intimated to the insurance provider at a later date.