A debit card issued in Malaysia that is valid even overseas is called an International debit card. Most debit cards belong to the network of Visa or Mastercard. A debit card is not just an ATM card which can be used to withdraw cash from an ATM. You can use a debit card at retail outlets, petrol stations, online purchases, etc., to pay your bills.
Unlike a credit card, a debit card uses the balance in your savings/current account to make payments. So, you don’t have to worry about the accumulating interests, monthly repayments or late payment fees.
When it comes to overseas transactions, a debit card requires you to activate the international usage facility. You need to follow a simple procedure to activate the overseas transactions facility on your card. You may have to contact the bank staff by visiting the branch, calling on the customer support helpline or do it yourself at the ATM.
For example, if we consider a Maybank debit card, you can activate the overseas facility either at a Maybank ATM or on the bank’s website.
- Maybank ATM:
- Choose the ‘Other Transactions’ option
- Choose the ‘Other Services’ option
- Choose the ‘Overseas/Plus ATM Service’
- Select the ‘Activate’ option and then fill up the required information
- Maybank2u website:
- Log into your account
- Select the ‘Card Management’ option
- Click on ‘Overseas ATM Facility’ option
- Activate the option and enter the required details
Spending and Withdrawal Limits
On the lines of credit cards’ credit limit, debit cards come with ATM cash withdrawal limit and spending limits. These limits are applicable on a per day basis.
Top Debit Cards in Malaysia
A list of debit cards that offer overseas transaction facility is given below:
- Annual Fee: RM53
- Daily ATM withdrawal limit: RM3,000 by default that can be extended to RM5,000
- Daily spend limit: RM3,000
- Key benefit: Get 1% cashback on overseas transactions
- Annual Fee: RM15.90
- Daily spend limit: RM5,000 by default, but can be extended up to RM10,000
- Key benefit: Get 1 bonus point on every RM4 spent with the card
Bank of China Malaysia Great Wall International Debit Card
- Annual Fee: RM8.48
- Daily ATM withdrawal limit: RM10,000
- Daily spend limit: RM10,000
- Daily funds transfer limit: RM10,000
- Key benefits: You can withdraw cash from around 2.1 million MasterCard Network ATMs across the world
- Annual Fee: RM8.48
- Yearly ATM withdrawal limit: 8 withdrawals
- Yearly spend limit: 6 retail spends
- Key benefits: The card facilitates contactless payment that lets you tap your card on the contactless terminal to pay on-the-go at retail outlets
- Annual Fee: RM12.72
- Daily ATM withdrawal limit: Up to RM10,000
- Daily spend limit: Up to RM8,000
- Key benefits: Get 2% cashback on overseas spend
With international debit cards, It becomes easier for you when you are travelling to another country for work or leisure. It saves you from the hassles of carrying cash and lets you carry out transactions seamlessly. All you need to do is compare the annual fees and other benefits offered by various cards, and choose the one that suits your requirement.