Visa debit cards lets you pay directly from your bank account, thereby facilitating cashless transactions. You also get Visa-related offers and privileges with such cards. Read on to know more about the various Visa debit cards available in Malaysia and their benefits.
Visa Cards in Malaysia and their Features
Let’s take a look at the various Visa debit cards available in Malaysia and their special features.
AffinBank Visa Debit Card
- Earn 3 Affin Rewards Points on every RM10 spent with the card.
- Get a card for a minor and encourage healthy spending habits from childhood.
RHB Visa Debit Card
- No minimum income required in order to apply for the card.
- Set your own purchase limits on the card, and take control over your finances.
Bank Islam Debit Card
- Get a number of customised offers with the co-branded Visa debit cards by Bank Islam. These include:
- Bank Islam Visa Team Harimau Debit Card-i.
- Bank Islam Visa Kelantan FA The Red Warriors Debit Card-i.
- Bank Islam Visa Pahang FA Debit Card-i.
- Bank Islam Visa Kedah FA Debit Card-i.
- Bank Islam Visa Selangor FA Red Giants Debit Card-i.
- Bank Islam Visa Melaka United SA Debit Card-i.
- Bank Islam Visa Debit Card-i Malaysia Hockey Confederation (MHC).
Maybank ASPIRE Visa Platinum Debit Card
- Customise your purchase limits to RM10,000 for the card and enjoy flexibility in payments.
- Earn TreatsPoints on transactions and redeem them for a number of exciting offers by Maybank.
HSBC Debit Card
- Get a daily purchase limit of RM1,000 and a cash withdrawal limit of RM5,000.
- Enjoy a number of exclusive offers and privileges with this card.
PB Visa Lifestyle Debit Card
- You can link Basic Current or Savings account with the card.
- No annual charges are applicable when you use the card.
Citibank Visa Debit Card
- Get a complimentary travel insurance worth RM350,000 when you book tickets with the card.
- Earn Citibank Rewards Points when you make purchases with the card.
BSN Visa Debit Card
- Get access to Ejen Bank Berdaftar (EBB) services with the card and make purchases at enabled outlets.
- Pay conveniently with the Touch n’Go feature of the card.
Types of Visa Cards
You can choose between five types of Visa cards in Malaysia. This includes Visa Classic, Visa Gold, Visa Platinum, Visa Signature, and Visa Infinite cards. The different categories are based on the income requirements and the range of offers available with the card. Visa offers cover a number of lifestyle, dining, and shopping categories catering low-income to high-end customers.
Advantages of Visa Cards
- Make contactless transactions with the Visa PayWave service. Wave you card or use the PayWave mobile app for transactions below RM250 at all enabled merchants in Malaysia.
- Enjoy a host of local, online and travel offers when you sign up for the card.
- Pay securely online directly at the store website with the Visa Checkout service.
- Get access to over 100 financial institutions in 20 countries with the Visa Personal Payment service.
- Get global assistance at any point of time with the Global Customer Assistant Service.
- Know where you can withdraw money from anywhere in the world with the ATM Locator.
- Use the range of travel offers by Visa and convert currency with Visa special exchange rates for overseas expenses.
Difference between Visa and Mastercard
Most banks in Malaysia offer credit or debit cards for both Visa and Mastercard. The same card will have both Visa and Mastercard versions, allowing you to choose any one of them. Both Visa and Mastercard have many useful features along with worldwide acceptance of the cards. Visa has five categories of cards, while Mastercard has three categories. More card categories increase the reach of customers as they are based on your income. When choosing a card, look for the features and benefits provided by the issuing bank in order to get the maximum benefits.
Visa Card Highlights
- Send money to your family, share expenses, or pay bills with the Visa Direct service.
- Maintain records of all your payments with the Visa Token Service and be assured of the protection of sensitive information.
- Make secure payments with chip cards offered by Visa.
- Be relaxed about the safety of your transactions when paying at Visa verified merchants.
- Forget worrying about fraudulent transactions with the Zero Liability policy.
- Get a complimentary membership for the TABLEAPP ELITE service for 1 year with Visa Signature and Visa Infinite cardholders, and enjoy free signature dishes and priority reservations at selected restaurants. The offer is valid till 31 December 2018..
Q. Can I make contactless payments with my Visa debit card above RM250?
- Yes. You need to enter your PIN for all transactions above RM250.
Q. What is the membership requirement for the TABLEAPP ELITE membership?
- You need to be a Visa Signature or Infinite cardholder with a minimum spending of RM50,000 from 1 September 2018.
Q. What is the daily withdrawal limit on the AffinBank Visa Debit card?
- The daily withdrawal limit on the card is RM1,500.
Q. Is the RHB VIsa Debit Card available for minors?
A. Yes. If the minor has a deposit account with RHB, he/she can apply for the card along with a letter from the guarantor.
Q. Is the online banking facility available for joint account holders of Bank Islam debit cards?
A. No. You can only log in with an individual account in order to use the online banking facility.
Q. Do I need to be an ASPIRE member for the Maybank ASPIRE Visa Platinum Debit card?
A. Yes. You need to be an ASPIRE customer in order to apply for the Maybank ASPIRE Platinum Debit Card.
Q. Can I increase the transaction limit on my HSBC Debit Card?
A. Yes. The daily purchase limit can be increased to RM2,000.
Q. Are there any charges for getting a monthly statement with the PB Visa Lifestyle Debit Card?
A. There are no charges for the e-statements available with the card. In order to get a hard copy, you need to pay RM1,06 for each copy.
Q. Is the complimentary travel insurance available for both Citibank and Citigold Debit Card?
A. Yes. The insurance of up to RM350,000 is applicable for both Citibank and Citigold Debit Cards, given you purchase travel tickets with the card.